19 July 2005

Me-Centric Wedding review...

One would think I’d have lots and lots to say given the events of the past week but I find myself without inspiration as I begin here. My brother’s wedding was lovely and I couldn’t be happier with his choice. I think Cher is a remarkable match for him and a wonderful human being. Thank whatever gods you trust that he found her…or that they found each other. I am privileged to have the opportunity to call her friend and sister and my brother…well, whatever he did to earn this...hmmm, it must have been phenomenal. Anyway, it never ceases to amaze me when people find the courage to make the commitment to build a life together and I admire them greatly for taking the chance.
I think perhaps I may have overrated solitude? My nephew and his sisters asked me why I wasn’t married and whether there was anyone that I might marry…strange question to get from a 9, 7 and 5 year old respectively. I don’t remember which of them actually asked the question and I don’t think it really matters. The simplest answer, and the one I gave them, it that I haven’t met someone to whom I’d care to make that sort of commitment which is true but the truer answer is that I don’t really want to be married. Oh, it’s not marriage as an idea so much that puts me off as the things you have to go through to get to that point. Or, rather, the things I imagine one has to go through to get to that point…sigh…whatever. Solitude is easy, at least for me. For most of the past few years, it’s been a hell of a lot easier than the idea of having to fit another person and their friends and family and general concerns into my life.
What I need is someone who somehow understands and accepts my need to be lonely while also pulling me out of that loneliness when I need it. Someone that I don’t mind sacrificing some of that safety to…someone that convinces me it’s worth the risk, any risk, for the opportunity of knowing them. I just read that over and, as ever, it sounds incredibly selfish. It’s all about me and what I need, right? Maybe what I need is someone that compels me to make less selfish choices…hell, even that is more than a little me-centric, no?
Regardless, congratulations to Rob and Cher and heartfelt wishes for a long, full, messy, happy life together!

1 Comments:

At 21 July, 2005 20:44, Blogger Rob Seifert said...

Sisters like you are rare indeed and I am doubly blessed in Cher and you my dear sister.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home