10 August 2005

Early morning meandering

It’s 1:15 am and I can’t get, of all things, "Jesus Christ Superstar" out of my head. Where the hell did this come from?? I’ve got water in my ears from the shower, and I’m trying desperately to get some sleep and all I keep hearing, running round and round in my head is the main theme from a musical I haven’t heard in years! So I thought I’d get up and write something in the hope of chasing it out and, maybe I’ll be able to get some sleep before it’s too late to bother. I need sleep – work is still intolerable and bound to remain so for the foreseeable future…hmmm…foreseeable…is any of the future actually foreseeable? I wonder…if there is nothing to count on but this moment then I suppose nothing is truly foreseeable, eh? Okay, whatever-what I’d like to foresee is me, finding another job…even if it’s still benefits administration, at least I’d be going somewhere different each day…someplace w/o a crazy bitch in charge of everything, without a software conversion in progress that could (and seriously might) bring the company down rather than work the way it should. All because this crazy, control freak bitch insisted on doing it w/o testing, w/o running duel payrolls to make sure things transferred correctly...and why does it matter? I guess it doesn’t really. As if I needed a sign that it’s past time to move on – here it is, blinking in bright neon and screaming at me. “NOW” you stupid, lazy brat – get off your ass and find something else to trade your time and effort in on the comforts of food and home for…what more do I need? A notarized letter from the gods telling me it’s time to act? The main points are this: my team is down to two, we’re doing a software conversion of our main operating system without any sort of testing or planning (success is looking at best unlikely at this point), I don’t like or respect-even a little-the person in charge of this place (you wouldn’t either if you met her, trust me on this) and whatever else I can’t think of at the moment. Sigh…I don’t want to do this anymore…I think of open enrollment and I cringe, I think of doing one more set of COBRA notices and my eyes go all squinty, 401k, flexible spending accounts-blah, blah, blah. The worst of these is open enrollment and the thing is, no matter where I go, if I stay in benefits it’ll chase me down at least once every year – for those of you with no concept of the hell that is open enrollment – please, be kind to your benefits administrators in the future – just fill out your damn paperwork and return it on time with a minimum of bitching and try to remember that your stupidity and forgetfulness is hardly their fault. Okay so-yes, a change in scenery is definitely called for in the very near future. Damn! I’m wallowing in it tonight…give me sleep, sweet sleep uninterrupted by intrusive musical numbers and I’ll have the energy for more upbeat conversation tomorrow…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home