08 September 2005

Ruminating upon my much overdue review

I've been dinking around with the other blog for the last hour rather than doing any of the mountain of work I've got to get through before the weekend...I mean - there's always tomorrow, right? I know this is the wrong attitude but...well, I just don't care that much...that's really the point here. And, for once, I'm not casting around for something to explain my lack of enthusiasm. I finally got the unimportant part of my review this week (still no money) and I've been mulling it over and I'm kinda pissed about it. Apparently I lack initiative, consistency,a good attitude and I have issues with punctuality and scheduling (or is that more like an issue with making work my number one priority)...oh, and I have a hard time dealing with my co-workers effectively sometimes (especially when they're psychotically vicious billing clerks who take every/create opportunities to point out their co-workers' mistakes/possible shortcomings and never take responsibility for/acknowledge their own)...I'm exagerating a bit here (not about the billing clerk) because, overall it wasn't a negative review it's just possibly the most non-positive review I've had to date...in any job (and this includes the one where I spent my time cleaning hotel rooms - I'm not kidding-that has got to be one of the most disgusting jobs on the planet short of sewage maintenaince or something and, trust me - my attitude there could certainly have stood some positive adjustment and initiative is more of a handicap than anything worth pursuing when you're talking about cleaning up after people who are away from home-no you don't want to know what it was that got shoved under the bed!-seriously-they loved me there). So, I'm feeling a bit...slapped and sort of stabbed and possiblely kicked a few times too - also, I may have had some salt rubbed in my eyes. Oh, and this isn't something that officially counted as a negative, but apparently I dress like a hippy-tree-hugger type, (?-for those of you who know me - is that how I dress?) and that's okay. (That's okay if you never want to succeed at anything in this business...have I ever mentioned the gym teacher that told me-at the impressionable age of 13- that I would never succeed at anything if I didn't jump the hurdles?-but dress however you like, really). All that and my boss is being extra nice to me now for some reason - like he knows damn well he pissed me off (for no good reason), like he did it deliberately, like he's doing his best to make it even more unacceptable for me to stay here, but maybe I'm giving him too much credit. Okay maybe, possibly, the motive could be something I could support, however I do not appreciate being marked down for things he's never so much as mentioned to me as problems just for the sake of motivation. The only point on which I'm forced to concede is the issue with punctuality - I never get to work at or before 8:00am. I don't do it on purpose, it's not a philosophical statement on the worth of office work or anything-it just, doesn't happen- sue me...better yet-fire me if it bothers you that much. Besides which, I think it has a great deal more to do with the infinitesimal nature of the raise I'm likely to be offered for my continued services. Even as I'm preparing myself to accept this (temporary) slap (okay, what's a permanent slap?) in the face, it still pisses me off!

4 Comments:

At 08 September, 2005 16:58, Blogger Weary Hag said...

Historically speaking (for me anyway) it's pretty darned hard to get to work on time when you're headed to a place you absolutely hate. Maybe the review was a greater sign that you need to move on. Screw them!

 
At 08 September, 2005 17:23, Blogger Chipper Dip said...

Without doubt! I'm working on finding a new place to park my ass for pay-hopefully better pay than I get here!

 
At 12 September, 2005 11:43, Blogger Chipper Dip said...

I can't wait to hear it!

 
At 20 September, 2005 09:48, Blogger Rob Seifert said...

It's always a drag when other's perception of our performance lines up with our contempt for doing the job. Still, honest feedback is a good thing. Maybe you should do something else...

RCS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home