05 April 2006

Cat food...among other considerations

I called my mother today and, after we hung up, I realized we’d spent the greater portion of the conversation talking about cat food. My life must be in a bad space when all I can think of to talk about is cat food – I mean, how much can really be said on the subject??

As an example: Last few days have been uneventful – went for a walk at the off-leash dog park with my friend and her dog on Sunday. I really think that’s the best thing people can do for their dogs – take them somewhere they’ll have the room to run around free and play with other dogs as much as they like. It seems wrong to keep them either cooped up at home or attached to a leash all the time. I ended up with mud all over my pants and feet that hurt like hell...saw some horses too. I guess I’m just not used to being on my feet for 2 hours straight. I came home, washed my face and went to bed – this was roughly 5:00 pm. I slept through ‘til almost noon the next day. I guess we could say I’ve been a bit soft on the whole physical activity front…sigh. So Monday was pretty much a complete wash – I was still recovering from my adventure at the dog park…an adventure I have agreed to continue ad infinitum, by the way so – somebody pray for me.

And another: Today – or, rather, I guess it was yesterday now though I still haven’t been to bed…hmmm…does it still count as the next day if there’s been no sleep to separate the days?…doesn’t actually matter – today, as I said, I talked to my mother which was nice (even with the 10 minute conversation about cat food)…I also managed to fall over on my way up the stairs to my apartment and scrape the shit out of my knuckles…this after finally convincing myself to clean out the refrigerator, clean the cat boxes and take out the trash. I’ve lived here for a year and a half and this is the first time I’ve managed to actually injure myself on the stairs…hmmm…not bad really, eh? One self-inflicted injury every 18 months doesn’t sound like I should be all that concerned after all…that’s a relief. Also met one of my neighbors whose name I couldn’t remember the moment after he offered it…fair, I guess as he assumed I must be new to the building and was quite shocked when I informed him otherwise. It’s comforting to know I have something in common with my neighbors, even if it is that oh-so-difficult-to-pin-down quality of forgetableness.

So: This is my life, I realize…and I have to wonder – would it really be any more interesting if it included a job? I mean, really? What difference does it make to say I applied to 5 different positions today, none of which I’m particularly enthusiastic about interviewing for, much less getting, much less doing? I mean, aside from the whole money thing – would having a job give me anything more interesting to talk about, to think about even? Somehow, I think not…and then I have to remind myself of the whole money issue and then I’m back to really resenting the idea that I’m ultimately a slave to the choices I make and preferences I hold involving financial independence and entertainment options…that and I like to eat…oh, and the cat food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home